Biotech industry innovation helps drive advances affecting aging R&D
Potential for Deals Drives a Big Surge in the Biotech Sector
Key points — link to article is below:
- The pharmaceutical industry has been hunting for innovation among small biotechnology companies
- The feared â€œpatent cliffâ€ for brand-name drugs has caused billion-dollar blockbusters cause big pharma companies to lose ground to generic competition
- Biotechnology is more prone to disappointments than perhaps any other industry
- â€œPeople are hungry for growth,â€ said Erik Gordon, a professor specializing in life sciences entrepreneurship at the University of Michiganâ€™s business school.
- One gateway for acquisitions in the biotech sector is research partnerships, and those are increasing as well.
- “The one unifying theme in all the companies that have generated excitement on Wall Street is the rise of personalized medicine”, said Christoph Westphal, a longtime biotechnology entrepreneur and a founder and partner of the Longwood Fund.
- Another factor in the biotech industryâ€™s favor is that regulators have become more supportive of drugs that address high unmet medical needs. In July 2012, the Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act established the â€œbreakthrough therapyâ€ designation, which gave the agency the authority to speed its review of drugs to treat life-threatening ailments.
My comment: How about drugs to treat MULTIPLE life-threatening ailments caused by aging.
- â€œThe regulators, notably the F.D.A., have been particularly willing to come up with new strategies to enable the rapid development of drugs for which there is a dramatic effect in a defined patient population,â€ said Robert Tepper, a partner at Third Rock Ventures, an investor in both Bluebird and Agios.
- The article offers names of companies, people and other specifics on what’s happening.
Full article: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/biotech-companies-surge-as-investors-flock-to-them
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink